{Fall}ing for Pastels & Big News

October 21st, 2012 § 13 comments

H&M Pink Angora Sweater {a la Lana del Rey}, Anna Dello Russo for H&M earrings, H&M dotted pencil skirt and Jason Wu for Target Lace Clutch

Wearing two bright colors at once {pink and orange, oh my!} was quite a departure for me, but I ended up absolutely loving the look!! I felt cozy and feminine all at once, and I pretty much matched the gorgeous sunset just perfectly! We’ve had a little bit of an Indian summer here in Denmark, so it was fun to wear a sweater and go bare legged at the same time!

Speaking of Denmark… I have some big news: I’m moving from here to New York. In three days.

~~

To quickly recap my life as of late… I moved from my hometown in Oregon to Copenhagen in July after graduating with a degree in international business and accounting. I was excited to reunite with my boyfriend and friends, as well as accept a wonderful, full-time job at an accounting software firm in Copenhagen.  But then, after nearly three months of waiting for my work visa to be approved, I was informed that my application would be turned down {for a number of reasons that I don’t quite understand – basically because the Danish visa rules are very, very strict and my experience/job offer didn’t quite meet their approval}.  That meant I had just barely a few weeks before I would need to leave the country.

After many days of crying and feeling sorry for myself, I decided to get my act together and turn this terrible situation into a positive change. If I couldn’t be in Denmark – where did I want to be?  What would make me happy?  After years and years of dreaming about living in NYC, I realized that perhaps this was my chance to take on that adventure. So – I set about making it happen.  I reached out to my friends and family in the city, and received an enormous amount of love and support from everyone I spoke to.  With growing confidence, I started exploring opportunities in New York, and was thrilled to soon be offered an internship in the fashion department of enter: new media, a social media agency in Manhattan.  Then my amazing friend Josh graciously offered to let me crash with him when I first arrive in the city, and I realized this was truly happening. I was moving to New York City, just like that.

With a deep breath, I booked my ticket to JFK.

~~

I fly to New York on Wednesday. I’ll have three bags full of photos, clothes and shoes, a heart filled with an ache for my loved ones in Copenhagen, and a spirit that will be bouncing off the walls with excitement. After years of visiting the Big Apple, this time I’ll be moving there.  It feels as though this is just what life had planned for me at this moment – and even though it’s scary and heartbreaking and overwhelming, it could also end up being the best thing that ever happened to me.

I don’t know what the future has in store… but I promise I’ll keep you informed as it unfolds my dears.  Thank you for always being there, and for your support at this crazy/beautiful time.

Lots of love, A

§ 13 Responses to {Fall}ing for Pastels & Big News"

• You rock! We are here if you ever need cheering on!
    Much love and admiration,
    Mom and Dad
    karen amarotico recently posted..The Hand that Rocks the Cradle….My Profile

• Anna says:

eek! How exciting. Glad that it turned out good… serendipity is a marvellous thing.

Good luck on your new adventure! x

• Rachel says:

I love this sweater! As soon as I saw it on you I knew it was the H&M one because I’m obsessed with Lana Del Rey. You look lovely!
    Rachel recently posted..Instagram LifeMy Profile

• Shybiker says:

How exciting. Sometimes life opens unexpected doors for us. Coming to NYC will offer you numerous social and professional opportunities. If you need any advice, let me know. I’m an hour outside the city on Long Island.

P.S., Love the fluffy sweater!
    Shybiker recently posted..ReptilesMy Profile

• Erin Santana says:

Congratulations! This really is an opportunity. After college, I packed up and moved to New York where I only knew a couple of people and it was the best decision I’ve ever made. Life in New York is like nothing else. Enjoy your experience and take advantage of every minute there.
    Erin Santana recently posted..Buy me some peanuts and….Sailor boys?My Profile

• cait says:

Best of luck in New York! Remember everything happens for a reason and everything will work itself out.

xo.
    cait recently posted..pumpkin bread.My Profile

• Lyddiegal says:

I can’t imaging packing up and moving, just barely getting settled in and then having to do it all over again – but I’m glad you are making the best of it, making a big, bold change, and I’m sure you will land on your feet. Good luck in NYC, I’m sure it will be amazing!
    Lyddiegal recently posted..Color BlockMy Profile

• Elaina says:

Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear that they kicked you out! They are awfully strict here. It took me almost a year to get my visa! And I still don’t have a job! Ha. But really, New York sounds like an amazing opportunity, I’m so glad things fell into place. Good luck and have fun!

• Megan says:

Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog through HelloCotton and am so glad to have found you 🙂 I am a fellow freckled redhead and love finding other redhead bloggers. Love how you mixed red and pink here (who says redheads can’t wear pink?! nonsense!). I am Danish but have never been to Denmark. I would LOVE to visit someday! That is so exciting that you’re moving to NY… I wish you the best of luck with your move and I look forward to following along with your future outfits and adventures 🙂
    Megan recently posted..NonsenseMy Profile

• Oh my gosh, Alex, you precious thing!!! I am SO happy for you!!! Way to make lemonade out of lemons… you are so awesome. Also, these pictures are fantastic, and pink and red and orange are your colors! Are you going to go shopping with Lucky now?? 🙂
    Whitley
    Whitley Hamlin at the Queen City Style recently posted..Signature StyleMy Profile

• Buki says:

Alex, Way to turn a tough reality on its head and make it positive!
    I’m soooooooo happy for you and super proud of you !

xx

P.S- your friend Josh is one gracious stud!

• Hogger & Co. says:

HOW EXCITING ALEX!! And yes, it’s also a sad time to be leaving your ‘home’ but how exciting, your new life awaits! Congrats and best of luck on the move!
    xo
    p.s you look gorgeous as always!