Best Places to {Eat, Play, See} in NYC

April 20th, 2013 § 10 comments

{Pink lights over the patio at my favorite Hell’s Kitchen brunch joint 44 1/2}

Living in New York City is an experience like no other.  It truly is the “city that never sleeps” — perhaps because with so many amazing attractions, restaurants, sights, shops, people and possibilities, it’s hard to spend much time at all in bed {even though you pay half your income on it each month}.  There is so much competition in the city, that restaurants have the unique opportunity to fill niche markets: gourmet cheese and wine cafes, Coyote Ugly-themed gay bars, burger-joints dressed in Victorian decor…. you name it, NYC has it.

I’ve been very lucky in many ways in the last six months I’ve spent in this incredible city, but particularly in terms of finding friends with impeccable taste and a flair for adventure.  They have introduced me to amazing places from day one, which made my move here a million times easier {and a million times more fun!}.  Now that I work as a hotel concierge in the city, it’s my job each day to help tourists find such places during their stay here.  I’ve learned a whole lot over the past six months, so I think it’s high time I shared my city knowledge with you as well!

What do you think about that??!

{The incredible $13 lunch special at Lillie’s Victorian Establishment}

{A unique bench in the Ramble in Central Park, perfect for a cuddle or a book}

{The entry to Cafe Sabarsky in the Neue Gallery on the Upper East Side}

{The most incredible cotton candy milkshake at Big Daddy’s diner}

{Rockefeller Center – beautiful from any angle, at any time of day}

{Under the Bethesda Terrace in Central Park}

{Decadent chocolate cake and espresso at Cafe Sabarsky in the Neue Gallery}

{The brunch-for-two tiered display and tea at Alice’s Tea Cup}

~~

These are just a few snaps of some of my favorite places in the city {snagged from my Instagram of course} but today I’m sharing them to introduce a new series on She is Red – Eat, Play, See!  I’ll focus on New York City for the time being, but incorporate other cities later as they appear in my life {Copenhagen anyone?!}.  I’ll share great places for everything from a lovely Italian restaurant to the perfect place for a free date to where to get a great hair cut.  {Oh, and I’ll totally tell you more about the Coyote Ugly bar, hehe!}

Sound good??!

xxoo loves

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 10 Responses to Best Places to {Eat, Play, See} in NYC"

• cheyenne says:

gosh, new york city is such an amazing city 🙂
    i can’t wait to go back there!
    xo, cheyenne

• Ida says:

Looking forward to it! I’m going to NY this summer, so I’m gathering all the tips and tricks I can get. Can’t wait to see all your favourite, inexpensive places with good food and a nice athmosphere.

• Alexandra says:

Yay! So excited your coming to visit this amazing city. I will definitely keep a list growing and share all that I can! Shoot me an email if there’s anything specific you’d like to know about! xoxo

• jahofore says:

You lucky girl! NYC is the city that keeps calling me back. Where are you working?
    Love your photos and of course your enticing descriptions. Keep us posted as to the life and times of Miss Alex! Best to you….JH

• Gina Notes says:

I looooove Alice’s Tea Cup! Can we go soon? XO.

Gina
    Gina Notes recently posted..WavebornMy Profile

• Stephanie says:

Hi Alex. I just found your blog through another one that I read. I just moved to New York not long ago and I’m finding it an extremely difficult adjustment. But I will say that I do love Alice’s Tea Cup. I go to Chapter III on the UES. It’s very cute.

• Alexandra says:

Hi Stephanie!

Welcome to NYC! I’m sorry you’re finding the adjustment difficult — it’s definitely a whole different ballgame here. I’ve had very high highs and very low lows since arriving, but I must admit the highs are worth the trouble! NYC is so amazing… but it just takes time. Are you studying here? How long do you plan to stay?

This photo was taken at Chapter III! I loved it there – can’t wait to go again.

xoxo

• Chennill says:

Love 44 and 1/2. I know the guys who own it, the food is absolutely amazing! Best turkey burger I have EVER had!